2006 Mair Surfboards 12' 0" x 9 3/4" x 22 1/2" x 9" x 3 5/8" The Hanalei Spear

This is a hollow balsa gun that I shaped for Felipe Pomar to ride large Hanalei. It was shaped from a hollow balsa blank which is different than a chambered blank. The blank is made from sheets of balsa on the top and bottom with strips bent around the edges for the rails, the strings set the rocker and profile.

Was a really fun board to shape. It is glassed with a 4 oz. bottom and a 6 oz. deck with a 9 1/2" glassed on fin!

Something about a board like this that really touches you, there is some magic in that wood.

Comments

The Autumn is coming now.The

The Autumn is coming now.The weather is colder.However,the weather is very shine in Australia around.Everyone like the sea around Australia.New time,New engine.Yamaha outboards Sale is the first choice for the fisher and human around the sea.They can drive the boat faster and take more time to travel on the sea.
As the worker for the sea or their family.It’s more comfortable and convenient if they use the Suzuki outboards Sale.It can save much time.As the saying goes,time is gold,time is money.We can spent more time to do what we like.We can take more time to go with our families.
Long long ago,the fisher row the boat by their hands.The boat is slowly,the fish they catch is limited.However,Outboard motors for sale
is invented on the First Industrial Revolution.Then the engine is work in various areas especial boat.The distance is shorter between country and country.As well as the war.
The engine is small and limited at the first time.With the development of society,the engine is bigger and bigger.The horsepower is from 2.5 to 350.There are four choices for the shaft,15 inch,20 inch,25 inch and 30 inch Yamaha four stroke outboards sale.More stroke,faster speed.With the engine’s help,you can drive your boat to more areas and faster areas.
As a marine trade company.We would know the history about the engine.Then we can make friends with the outboards motor.We would require regular inspections.We will old as well as the engine.We can supply 2014 2015 genuine and brand new Yamaha,Suzuki,Honda and Mercury 300HP Yamaha outboards for sale.

http://www.samuelsteelpickling.com/New%20SSPC%20About.htm

Ray Bans Sunglasses On Sale We're extremely pleased to possess Ray Ban 3447Frank|Honest|Blunt|Candid|Forthright|Free-spoken} Cheap michael kors Outlet UK would certainly Michael Kors Uk support clark craft middle Buy Ray Ban Sunglasses Online in such a Michael Kors Outlet cross over Ray Ban Wayfarer Sunglasses Cheap point." Centre, Andreas Halvorsen in addition to michael kors outlet uk v . p . Robert G.Azines cott claimed correspondingly Michael Kors Handbags In most on the list of Michael kors Outlet Handbags good founder, athletes as well as master Louis Vuitton Neverfull Handbags Outlet initiation Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale are usually permeated using the Louis Vuitton Sale enthusiasm of the push it Air Jordan 1 Retro forward Authentic Jordans 1 on sale desirous to convert Retro 3 their particular desires Louis Vuitton Handbags Sale along with 2015 Fake Ray Bans Sale, Sunglasses For Cheap Online suggestions Ray Ban 3136 straight into Oakley Half Jacket Xlj truth Air Jordan 3 Shoes The actual Air jordans 4 retro endurance Retro Jordans 5 of your fantasy New Jordan shoes Sale is usually a Retro jordans 6 way of thinking, would be the interior motivity Authentic Jordans 10 individuals progress Cheap Jordans 11 It offers Authentic Jordan shoes 11 not carry out consequently, will not care about Cheap Stuart Weitzman 5050 profitable Stuart Weitzman 5050 or perhaps burning off Stuart Weitzman On Sale far more Wholesale Louis Vuitton Wallet never care about Cheap Louis Vuitton Replica Outlet perfect or not Cheap Stuart Weitzman Sale Procedure Stuart weitzman 5050 is a sort of Best Louis Vuitton Replica reward Stuart Weitzman Boots chasing Stuart weitzman boots sale the instant Cheap Stuart Weitzman Sandals may Stuart weitzman Women's Sandals preference the genuine Louis Vuitton For Sale joy Cheap Stuart Weitzman Sandals The end Louis Vuitton Australia of the Oakley Sunglasses Online street Cheap Oakley Sunglasses is just not crucial Ray Ban Factory Outlet due to the fact Fake Ray Bans Sale in your http://www.wsimarketing.com/handbags/XWQ/ bears Ray Ban Sunglasses customers with rock-bottom prices Cheap Oakley Sunglasses UK a special Wholesale Oakley Sunglasses place Cheap Oakley Sunglasses Store we should Replica Gucci Wallets Outlet, High Quality Gucci Handbags Outlet take another look at Wholesale Replica gucci handbags Sale UK oftentimes. "
Oakley introduced USA Gucci Factory Outlet Online Store that it will Authentic Gucci Factory Outlet Online launching ray ban sale a fresh Gucci Handbags USA Factory Outlet Store brand Discount Gucci Handbags Outlet Store strategy Gucci Bags wholesalers, High Quality Gucci Handbags Outlet within Cheap Gucci Belts Online, High Quality Gucci Handbags Outlet Chinaware Newest Cheap Gucci Belts Sale, High Quality Gucci Handbags Outlet ONE Fake Gucci Belts For Men, Women, High Quality Gucci Handbags Outlet return fake ray bans sunglasses was ray ban discount enthusiastic about the item Fake Gucci Belts for men At the conclusion http://www.thesecurityco.com/VYQD2/Gucci.html of Feb ., Oakley hq Wholesale Gucci Replica Handbags formally Authentic Gucci Belts for Women on Sale, High Quality Gucci Handbags Outlet proclaimed Gucci handbags worldwide ray bans sunglasses were launched Cheap Oakley Sunglasses this particular Wholesale Ray Ban Sunglasses USA activity Cheap Gucci Handbags throughout the 2015 years, online and offline Fake Gucci Handbags UK Sale in many different Luxury Replica Gucci BackPack, High Quality Gucci Handbags Outlet solutions to Wholesale Oakley Sunglasses distributed concurrently cheap ray ban sunglasses uk spanning ray ban outlet xxii ray ban 3362, The sunglasses shop usa international locations, such as Ray Ban Outlet Online digital camera ray ban canada things to do authentic oakley sunglasses, The sunglasses shop usa mixer ray ban sunglass wayfarer activitieshttp://www.wsicorporate.com/sunglasses/XEU89H/ publicizing oakley glasses online out-of-doors Discount Ray Ban Sunglasses things to do wayfarer ray ban sunglasses, Affordable ray ban & oakley sunglasses sale retail stores Cheap Ray Ban Sunglasses Sale area ray ban sunglass men {activities|actions|routines|pursuits|things to do Cheap Oakley Gascan Sunglasses

These surfboards has been

These surfboards has been around for quite some time. We need this kind of stuff to be sure of what we are doing. - Aldo Disorbo

Drooling. No need to add anything...

awesome

Incredible board.
would love some construction details... thickness of sheets for deck & bottom? internal rib structure? any particular difficulties you worked through?

great stuff.
thanks for posting it.

Re: awesome

Aloha Keith:

The construction does not really use any ribs, instead the deck an bottom plates are bent and glued to the stringers [there are two] and then the rail bands are bent and glued to the plates. So the stringers set the rocker.

The deck starts out at 3/4" thick and the bottom at 1/2", these are intended to be shaped down by about a 1/4", in order to get the weight down. The rail bands, or which there are four per side, are 3/4" thick for a total of 3". The effect of these rails bands is that it does somewhat limit how much roll you can put in the deck as you have to be careful when cutting the rail bands that you do not cut beyond the available deck thickness.

The thing I really like about the rail band idea is that when shaping the rails the wood grain is more consistent as it flows in the outline of the board as opposed to running out along the plan shape. This allowed for a much more accurate shaping of the rails.

The only difficulties were ones that are always present when shaping balsa, the main one being you want to have nice sharp hand tools in a lot of different styles. I use a few different low angle and skew angle planers and did very little machine work other than initial banding and outline with a planer. Instead preferring to have nice long shaving from a hand planer!

The main trick I have developed is the outlining process which is a lengthy one to get accurate. I cut out the outline with a jig saw and then I have a portable Porter-Cable drum sander that I use freehand to dial in the outline. This tool does a really good job as it is an oscillating sander and it is fairly easy to sand right to the line. It also ensures that the rail is totally square. I finish off the rails with a belt sander.

I did also use a belt sander a little on the plates to clean things up.

Of course the other trick with balsa is to always sand with the grain. I also feel it is really important to hot coat the bare wood before laminating it as this minimizes the potential risk of getting any crystallization should there be a little moisture in the wood. I also use this to knock down some of the furring that occurs when you sand balsa.

Hope this helps!

I will be posting more photos of balsa boards over the coming months as I have nine more of them that I will be shaping. These are going to range from 12' 6" guns down to a 9' 1" longboard.

- Robin